Water is a high-value commodity and COSIA’s Water Environment Priority Area (EPA) is looking for innovative and sustainable solutions to reduce water use and increase water recycling rates at oil sands mining and in situ operations in order to achieve our Aspiration to “be world leaders in water management, producing Canadian energy with no adverse impact on water.”
A key step towards achieving our Aspiration is to achieve COSIA’s first two Performance Goals for in situ and mining water use. These Performance Goals state that COSIA in situ and mining operators will strive to:
The Water EPA has also identified additional key issues facing the industry and is working to address the following:
- improving the use and management of all water resources, fresh, saline and recycled;
- creating a collaborative regional water management solution that links mining and in situ supply/demand;
- accelerating the development and commercialization of water treatment technologies;
- developing game-changing steam generation technology to reduce water used to produce steam for in situ oil sands development; and
- managing salt accumulation in water streams on mine sites during active mining.