How will COSIA members deliver the goal while addressing associated challenges?
COSIA members are committed collectively to “Reduce the net water use intensity from the Athabasca River and its tributaries by 30 per cent by 2022.”
This 30 per cent reduction will be achieved while adhering to sustainable water management principles of ‘reduce-reuse-return’ for all mine sites, more specifically:
- Optimising water reduction and recycling opportunities while balancing the net environmental impact and associated costs of both.
- Reducing the amount of water retained in tailings.
- Confirming the technical basis for returning treated water to the Athabasca River while meeting all environmental and regulatory requirements.
- Understanding and managing the cumulative effects on the Athabasca River watershed.
- Further improving the knowledge and understanding of pit lakes.
- Specific challenges and opportunities – Salts.