On March 1, 2012, the founding members of Canada’s Oil Sands Innovation Alliance came together in Calgary to sign the COSIA charter. In June, 2016 representatives of COSIA’s 13 member companies, re-signed the COSIA charter, reaffirming their commitment to the Alliance.
Charter for Canada’s Oil Sands Innovation Alliance
We, as developers of Canada’s oil sands and signatory companies to this Charter, hereby create Canada’s Oil Sands Innovation Alliance (COSIA).
Our Vision is to enable responsible and sustainable growth of Canada’s Oil Sands while delivering accelerated improvement in environmental performance through collaborative action and innovation.
Our Shared Beliefs
We believe that:
- Canada’s Oil Sands are a vital resource for providing energy security for the future of Canadians and the world.
- Oil Sands development provides financial and social well-being through job creation, business opportunities, and economic activity.
- Our industry has environmental impacts, which we will work to minimize. Action will reflect a strong commitment to innovation and collaboration and be focused on key environmental priorities so that together we will deliver accelerated improvement in our environmental performance.
- COSIA will result in faster and more effective research and development and environmental innovation through the use of complementary technologies and resources.
Our companies pledge to:
- Collaborate and innovate to accelerate improvement in environmental performance through the formation of COSIA.
- Provide visible leadership and accountability both within our individual companies and within our broader alliance.
- Drive to accelerate improvement in environmental performance as measured from a baseline in the priority areas of Tailings, Water, Land, and Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
- Collaborate with governments and other stakeholders to execute a world-class regional environmental monitoring program.
- Accelerate the pace and scope of environmental innovation, working with a broad range of participants within and outside of Canada.
- Allocate multi-year human and financial resources, and initiate, participate in, or lead projects within COSIA’s mandate, thereby contributing equitably to achieve our goals.
- Listen, respond to, and work with stakeholders who aspire to our vision, and address evolving regional needs and conditions.
- Assess and drive progress, remove barriers, and communicate the performance of COSIA in a transparent fashion.
While we remain competitors in all respects, we recognize that together we can deliver accelerated improvement in our environmental performance. We stand together to find solutions to the environmental challenges of oil sands development through innovation and collaborative action.