Posted: Mar 09, 2018 Closing Date: Mar 23, 2018
Tailings EPA Director
COSIA is recruiting a Tailings Environmental Priority Area (EPA) Director on a permanent, full time basis. The position, based in Calgary, Alberta, will report to the Chief Executive.
The successful candidate will work with a technical support advisor, the COSIA team and COSIA member companies to advance environmental performance improvement within the Tailings EPA scope. The Tailings EPA Director leads and chairs the Tailings EPA Steering Committee (SC) that is made up of COSIA member company representatives. The position of Tailings EPA Director offers the ideal candidate an opportunity to engage a range of stakeholders, serve as a catalyst for change and shape the strategic direction of COSIA.
- Chair the Tailings EPA SC and provide support for all SC activities
- Contribute to the development of cross-EPA plans and activities and lead the development of the Tailings EPA Plan
- Ensure that the Tailings EPA Plan is based on an appropriate environmental risk assessment and management framework
- Identify environmental priorities and develop environmental performance improvement goals within the Tailings EPA scope
- Work with the Tailings EPA SC, and other stakeholders and technical advisors, to assess technology, best practices and knowledge gaps with respect to setting and achieving Tailings EPA environmental performance goals
- Drive, track and report the performance of the Tailings EPA
- Identify, review and suggest potential projects for Tailings EPA Members
- Facilitate effective communication, organization and the sharing of project results within the Tailings EPA
- Liaise with COSIA members, external stakeholders, partners and other non-members
- Hire and manage staff or contractor support as required
- Encourage and develop strategic partnerships, especially outside of COSIA membership, from the industrial service, academic and government areas
- Drive consensus and results; develop an effective team environment and provide support for the path forward
- Support EPALS and JIPs, as needed, to encourage progress towards goals and the COSIA Vision
The successful candidate will bring the demonstrated ability to influence and successfully lead a diverse team; as an effective communicator, catalyst for change and networker. Proven skills will include the ability to facilitate difficult topics and to bring effective structures and processes to advance a group towards specific goals. The ability to engage and coordinate staff and member company representatives in a fast-paced environment with limited direct supervision or oversight is essential. The individual must be skilled in consensus building and operate effectively in an environment of influence rather than through authority and control.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- University degree(s) in a related discipline(s) (science, engineering, business)
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in industry, including oil sands specific experience
- A demonstrated ability to work with multiple parties and stakeholders to develop and implement projects and initiatives with successful outcomes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentations, group facilitation and public speaking
- A broad professional network within the petroleum industry and/or research community
- Demonstrated strategy development, planning, organizational and management skills
- Experience with contracting, project management and intellectual property
- Outstanding interpersonal and leadership skills and business knowledge
- An in-depth understanding of Canada’s oil sands and its environmental challenges
- Technical knowledge and experience related to the Tailings EPA
- Experience working with a member-driven organization and/or related governance structures
Start Date: As soon as available
Compensation: Competitive compensation based on skill set and experience. Assignments or secondments from COSIA member companies are possible.
Location: Calgary, AB
Deadline for application: Friday, March 23, 2018
Submission: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Canada’s Oil Sands Innovation Alliance
Canada’s Oil Sands Innovation Alliance (COSIA) is a unique alliance of oil sands producers focused on accelerating environmental performance in Canada’s oil sands. COSIA enables collaboration and innovation between thinkers from industry, government, academia and the wider public to improve measurement, accountability and performance in the oil sands across our environmental priority areas of greenhouse gases, land, water and tailings.
COSIA members search the world for solutions to our toughest problems. And COSIA has some of the best minds on the planet working on technologies to enable responsible and sustainable development. To date, COSIA has shared 936 distinct environmental technologies and innovations that cost over $1.33 billion to develop. For more information, visit: www.cosia.ca and follow us on Twitter @COSIA_ca.
Our Vision is to enable responsible and sustainable growth of Canada’s oil sands while delivering accelerated improvement in environmental performance through collaborative action and innovation.